‘The Phantom of the Opera’ is a massive musical. It has been in the West End and Broadway for many years and has lots of productions in all around the world, even a film adaptation. It has been translated to many languages. So people from other countries are able to understand the story of the Phantom and Christine and love the songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber. It’s important to say that all the productions usually use the same sets and costumes. So, all the productions are more or less the same.
- Thailand: The show was produced in the Muangthai Rachadalai Theatre from 7th May to 9th June 2013. It was part of the second Asian Tour production.
- South Africa: The show was presented in 2004. During 2011 and 2012 there was a South African tour of the musical.
- Spain: The show was seen in Madrid for a limited period of time in 2002. Stage Entertainment is the producer of the show. It’s because of this company that most of the Broadway musicals have been seen in Spain. Hopefully the Phantom will sing again someday in spanish.
- Russia: The show premiered in Moscow in October 2014. This production is the newest one. The stalls and stage are new. For sure the next productions of the musical will be like that.
- Japan: This was the first production in a foreign language. It was produced in 1988 and also celebrated 25 years on stage. But finally closed in 2013.
- Germany: There have been many productions in Germay. The first one was in Hamburg from 1990 to 2001. Then it was presented in Stuttgart from 2002 to 2004 and in Essen from 2005 to 2007. A new production is running in Hamburg since 2013.
- Argentina: The show was seen in Argentina in 2009, with 194 performances. It was represented in Buenos Aires.
- Hong Kong: There have been three different productions and tours. The first one was in 1995 (as a part of the Canadian Tour), the second in 2006 (should be the first Asian Tour production) and the last one in December 2014-January 2015. Check a review of the show in the amazing blog of Chow Kim Wan here (thank you again for all the information, my friend ;D!).
- Hungary: The production in this country started in 2003. It’s the first one that included new stage and sets, the ones that have been used in all around the world until now.
- Australia: The show has been produced many times in this country, including different tours. The first one was from 1990 to 1998, then 2007 to 2009 and 2013. It’s also the first country where the sequel, ‘Love Never Dies’, have been produced, after the flop in the West End.
There are lots of productions, tours and amateur productions of ‘The Phantom of the Opera’. Is, probably, one of the most successful shows in the entire world, and I understand why. Have you seen any other production? Do you like the recording in any other language? I must be honest and recognise that I only have listened to the London Cast. Maybe I should discover another production and hear how do they sound like.